History




The Cincinnati Cycle Club is the oldest cycling club in the region. According to records posted on The Brighton Bicycle Club website, "The Wheel World, published in London, had this news bit from September 8, 1880 “Last Thursday evening, the riders of the bicycle in these parts assembled at the residence of one of the members, and formed the Cincinnati Bicycle Club.” They elected the first officers, who were Joseph G. Kitchell, President; George Wilshire, Secretary and Treasurer; and William H. Reed, Captain. They all lived downtown around 4th and Ludlow Streets (lost to Lytle Park). The club had 15 members, who enjoyed touring from downtown Cincinnati to the rural regions of Northern Kentucky and Hamilton Counties.It is further reported that the club's headquarters was situated on Harrison avenue, near Spring Grove avenue. It was necessary to have the club start rides out in that part of the city where a good start could be had, as streets through town were then almost impassible.

Later, the Cincinnati Bicycle Club had a clubhouse, here shown in an Enquirer sketch from 1897, that was located on 7th Street near the corner of Elm Street.



Today the Cincinnati Cycle Club has more that 800 members, supports more than 1,000 club rides each year, and hosts two widely attended, fully supported Event Rides. The club continues to grow, and stays true to its original charter as its members continue to enjoy touring from downtown Cincinnati to the rural regions of Northern Kentucky and Hamilton Counties, and beyond. In 2013, the club introduced a new club logo to pay respect to its long history.



The Cincinnati Cycle Club thanks the historian of the Brighton Bicycle Club website for compiling the history of cycling and cycle clubs in Cincinnati.